Thursday, May 5, 2011

"The Colic"

Colic. That's what we've been dealing with the past few weeks. What is colic exactly? It's medically defined as a condition of a healthy baby in which she shows periods of intense, unexplained fussing/crying lasting more than 3 hours a day, more than 3 days a week. Why do people refer to it as "the colic?" That, I have no idea but it's definitely what we're dealing with. Emery starts in most nights about 6:00 and cries uncontrollably for anywhere from 4-6 hours. And I mean uncontrollably...shaking, red face, can't catch her breath. It's heartbreaking to listen to and watch. At first I thought she was just hungry and panicked thinking that I didn't have enough milk for her. One night I nearly sent James out to get some formula. I literally thought I was starving the girl. But that wasn't the case. She's definitely not starving to death with those fat thighs and cheeks she's developed. The girl's just got "the colic" and it's a bit exhausting. I don't know how long it will last. Hopefully she will be over it before I have to go back to work in July. I don't know that I can survive this without frequent naps during the day.

But even with "the colic", she's still sweet as can be. And because a post is just more interesting with a photo, here she is on Sunday dressed in one of my old dresses that my mom saved. Still looks so precious nearly 30 years later.

No comments: